Breathing exercises help to gain control of breathing. This is especially important when doing an activity which will cause you to become short of breath. By following these steps, you will be able to show down your breathing rate and increase the amount of Oxygen in your lungs.
Pursed Lip Breathing
- Breathe in slowly through your nose for one count.
- Purse your lips as if you were going to whistle.
- Breathe out gently through pursed lips for two slow counts.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Put one hand on your chest and the other on your abdomen.
- You should be able to feel the hand on your abdomen moving out when you breathe in.
- Breathe out slowly though your pursed lips, your should be able to feel the hand on your abdomen moving in as you breathe out.
Lateral Costal Breathing
- Repeat the steps outlined in the diaphragmatic breathing.
- Place your hands on the ribcage instead of the abdomen.
- Feel your chest expand and contract as you breathe.